Nostalgia and the Media

    We all have those songs that instantly transport us back to early childhood. Those shows that remind us of Saturday afternoons with the whole family. Those books that bring us back to leisurely summers with no summer homework. 
    Just yesterday, I was almost brought to tears by a song called "Upside Down" (mind you, I was running on very little sleep). This song is from the Curious George movie. I hadn't heard it in quite possibly 10 years, yet it still has such an emotional attachment to my mind.
   It got me thinking about the fundamental impact the songs and shows we were surrounded by in childhood have on us, especially in this age where this type of media is very apparent in our lives. These episodes and lyrics all shaped the unique way I view the world, and were a big part in the development of my personality. 
   It intrigues me how this song, and many others that I have rediscovered recently, bring back a sense of my old houses, old cars, old pets. It takes me back to when my older sister and brother still lived at home, to when I was still living in Michigan. It interests me how these specific songs stuck with me all of these years, without any intention to remember them. 
   These songs and TV shows were a big part of my life when life was a lot simpler; when I was learning how to tie my shoe rather than learning trigonometry. I feel that this connects to the wave of nostalgia that hits me the theme song of Good Luck Charlie plays, or when the chorus of "Give Your Heart A Break" is on. I have such a vivid memory of listening to this song in the mini van with my best friend, Estree. That was the day I learned what lip-syncing is. My longing to go back to these times is reflected in my reaction to these songs; a longing sadness that seems to come out of nowhere. 
   These pieces of media connect themselves to some of our clearest memories, and become a major part of each stage of our lives. They have the ability to define a period of time. We can always indulge in these old songs, and wish we could go back to the summers before responsibility came. But, we must not forget to live in the moment, making sure to enjoy the TV shows and songs of today. :) 



Comments

  1. That song is super sweet, and I've experienced similar feelings watching certain movies or listening to songs. I think that media is ingrained in our experiences, whether positively or negatively. Is it a good thing that songs have enough power over us to make us express or feel a certain emotion? Or does that mean technology has an unhealthy hold over us and machines are going to take over the world?
    That might be going a little far, but you see what I mean. Now that technology and media are so in touch with our lives, giving even the smallest things power over emotions is kind of scary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MissRepresentation

Do Plants Have A Memory?: An Analysis of Media's Ability to Share Knowledge

Spy Kids